Monday, May 18, 2015

Subjective Critique

My initial reaction to Wassily Kandinsky's "Farbstudie — Quadrate mit konzentrischen Ringen" color study of concentric rings gave me an overall sense of boredom. From a personal standpoint, Kandinsky's painting does not interest me very much, nor do I find it inviting or enjoyable. I perceive this artwork as very plainly executed. The lines and circles provide a flat and rigid feeling in the manner in which they were portrayed. In my opinion, the flatness comes from the painting providing a decreased sense of depth, shape, and three-dimensional form, which would make this piece more aesthetically pleasing. All the line work provided in the painting plainly goes vertical, horizontal and the circles in the center of the squares combined create a very rigid non-interesting articulation. Another aspect that makes the painting feel boring is the symmetrical shape which gives the eye a general focal point and nothing to actually focus on, admire, or draw attention to. Simply put, this work is missing a subject matter. To attempt to make this piece more aesthetically pleasing and more inviting, I will introduce depth by providing a balanced subject matter in a three-dimensional world with geometric shapes. This will give the new rendition shape, space and creative as well as interesting lines that derive from the geometric shapes. Through this approach, I believe we would take Kandinsky’s original work and breathe new life into the piece with a more focused, meaningful and dynamic aspect quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment